Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Mexican Wedding Cookies made w/ Rum Chata

Mexican Wedding Cookies w/ Rum Chata

This holiday season I took part in the 4th Annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, which helps to donate  to Cookies for Kids'Cancer. Not only is this for a great cause. and a great way to network with other Food Bloggers around the country but you bake and receive COOKIES!! Anytime I can help a great cause while cooking I AM definitely all in.

The rules are fairly simple. You're paired up with three other food bloggers at random. You send your trio of food bloggers each a dozen homemade cookies, and then you receive (and eat) another 3 dozen cookies from another round of Food Bloggers. I was so thrilled to participate!

(PS - If you'd like to receive notifications & updates about participating in next year's Cookie Swap you can do so here)

Lucky for me (and B), I've been wanting to make Mexican Wedding cookies (one of my hubby's faves). However, I just knew I needed a little twist in the mix. Especially since the ingredients are fairly basic. (Flour, Sugar, and lots of BUTTER!) = Yum!

Annnnnd, since I wanted to "spruce" them up a bit I consulted my food director, aka my husband, aka B. He sometimes always has the best ideas.

You know what he said?! :
"Add some kinda liquor". (a man after my own heart)
Duh! It was my, ahem,  OUR "AH HA!" moment.
So. Instead of adding vanilla extract, I replaced it with with something I'd like to introduce to y'all: Rum Chata.

Plus, Mexican Wedding cookies would be the perfect cookie to send in the mail. Especially, since I've never really mailed a batch of cookies out before.

Add in the fact that these Christmas Cookies are soooooo easy to make - they were the one.

Man, oh Man! They were so good! I had a to make a few extra batches for ourselves. Husband approved, and I could hardly contain his sneaky little fingers. (See below).

Mexican Wedding Cookies w/ Rum Chata
Little dough balls of goodness
Mexican Wedding Cookies w/ Rum Chata
Easy packaging for shipping across the country
Mexican Wedding Cookies w/ Rum Chata
Sneaking a treat

I had the privilege of receiving some of the most delicious cookies from Jenna of Just J Faye, Linda from Food Huntress and Faith from Pixie Dust Kitchen. PS - I'm so excited to recreated Jenna's Christmas Treasure Drop Cookies (recipe found here). #sogood

Christmas Treasure Drop Cookies // image via Instagram

I also had the pleasure of mailing out a dozen little rum filled balls of joy to Bree from Baked Bree, Alexis of Lexi Bites, and Kelli from The Corner Kitchen Blog. I hope you ladies enjoyed them as much as we did!

Mexican Wedding Cookies with Rum Chata

by Amanda @ Fun In The Oven Blog
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Ingredients (24 cookies)
  • 1/2 cup butter (softened)
  • 1/2 cup powder (confectioner) sugar, divided
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans AND walnuts
  • 1 teaspoon Rum Chata
Instructions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees and set butter out to soften to room temperature.
Once butter is softened, using an electric mixer (or hand mixer), combine butter and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, beating at a medium speed until fluffy and peaks begin to form.
Next, sift the flour into the butter and sugar mixture, and to mix thoroughly until dough forms. Gently stir in Rum Chata and chopped nuts until combined within the dough.
Form dough into 1-inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake cookies for 25-30 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
Cool cookies slightly, then sift the remaining sugar into a shallow bowl or dish.
Next, roll cookies into powdered sugar rolling one cookie at a time while cookies are slightly warm. Once coated, place cookies on a plate until cooled completely. Re-roll powdered cookies into the remaining sugar again until coated completely.
Serve, share, & enjoy!
Powered by Recipage



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from ya! Leave a comment and tell me your thoughts.