Thursday, September 4, 2014

Twice Baked Potatoes


Hey Y'all!! I hope life has been treating all of you well. Things around here have been a little chaotic lately; however these Twice Baked Potatoes are the furthest thing from chaos. They practically cook themselves (hence "baked potato") and are a simple crowd-pleaser!

I feel like my lame cell-phone photos don't give these hot little potatoes the proper justice. But trust me when I say: these will get you and your hungry eater(s) all sorts of excited!  

I found this recipe in one of my top "go-to" cookbooks by America's Test Kitchen, Comfort Food Makeovers, (purchased here, from Amazon.com) 

The sautéed onions really give this dish its rich flavor & the simplicity of using a baked potato is perfect for an easy yet filling side dish. My M.I.L makes the absolute BEST potato dishes so I knew I had some pretty big shoes to fill. Nonetheless, these Twice Baked Potatoes did not disappoint! In fact, they've been requested quite frequently at my house… and I can't say "No" to an easy and delicious side dish. Can you?


TWICE BAKED POTATOES 

(recipe adapted from America's Test Kitchen)

Ingredients
  • 2 large russet potatoes, unpeeled
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 1/2 large white onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons milk (or whipping cream)
  • a pinch of dry mustard
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 scallions chopper, or sliced thin

Directions
  • Adjust oven racks to top and middle racks. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Rub potatoes with olive oil. Using a fork poke several holes into potato skins, then lightly top with salt.
  • Bake potatoes for about 1 hour, or until skins are dark and crispy. Turn potatoes half-way during cooking.
  • Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and saute until onions turn light brown then add minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
  • Once potatoes are cooked, remove potatoes from oven and let cool for 7 - 10 minutes. Turn oven up to 500 degrees.
  • Cut each potato half lengthwise. Carefully scoop the inside of the potatoes into a large bowl, leaving about 1/8 inch of flesh.
  • Mash potatoes with a fork or potato masher, then gently mix in sauteed onions & garlic, remaining table spoon of butter, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, sour cream, milk, dry mustard, salt and pepper to taste.
  • Evenly spoon mixture back into potato skins. Top with remaining cheddar cheese. Place filled potatoes in a greased baking pan.
  • Bake potatoes on the middle rack for 10 - 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
  • Sprinkle with chopped scallions, serve, and Enjoy!

Potatoes before their "2nd Bake"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from ya! Leave a comment and tell me your thoughts.