- 2 bone-in chicken breast
- 3 stalks of celery (2 for boiling chicken, 1 to include in the salad)
- 1/2 large white onion
- 1 green apple
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 cup real Mayonnaise (like Hellmann's)
- Garlic Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Begin by boiling the chicken. (I am a firm believer that if your chicken is seasoned and boils properly your salad will always taste great.) To Boil Chicken: Roughly chop 2 stalks of celery into large pieces. Chop white onion into fourths. Add chicken to a large pot and cover with water. Add chopped celery and onion and bring to a rolling boil for about 20 minutes until chicken is completely cooked. I like using bone in chicken because I feel it gives the overall chicken more flavor.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove chicken and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, finely chop one celery stalk and the green apple.
- Once chicken is cooled begin to shred chicken, and remove from bones. I use my hands to pull the chicken apart, but if you'd like to save your hands from getting messy use two forks. But, FYI the hand method works the fastest.
- Add shredded chicken to a large bowl. Add chopped celery and apple. Add 1/2 cup of sliced almonds. Add one cup of mayonnaise and garlic salt & pepper to taste.
- Gently mix all ingredients, until combined.
- Cover salad and refrigerate. Can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.