Monday, August 4, 2014

Beef Enchiladas with Red Sauce



Welcome to another Monday, and yet another fabulous week, Folks! I hope you enjoyed the weekend and had plenty of time to rest and enjoy yourself.

B and I spent a little time apart over the weekend as I traveled back to my Alma mater for some meetings. It's always great to go back "home" and enjoy the comforting feeling of being back where you belong. My time there is never enough, though. 



But, we are traveling back again this weekend for a very important celebration. My honey graduates with his Master's degree!! whoo hoo!! A week long celebration is in store beginning today until his commencement this weekend. I am such a proud and happy woman - Way to Go B!



Before I left town last weekend, I wanted to make something delicious and hearty since I knew I was leaving the house with hardly any groceries in our pantry. I know. I know. Bad wife award right here.

B wanted enchiladas and I thought it was a great suggestion. I fired up the stove top. Put some red enchilada sauce on to simmer. Then, made these delicious beef enchiladas. 

The house smelled amazing and I got to let my Mexican flag fly!  

I have to preface this and say: it is extremely difficult to capture an appetizing photograph of enchiladas. Please do not mistake my poor food photography skills for taste. I can guarantee the photos do not do these beefed up enchiladas any justice. They are so ooey gooey GOOD!


Beef Enchiladas with Red Sauce

You'll Need:
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 packet of your favorite Taco Seasoning
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped white Onion
  • 1 tablespoon chopped Garlic
  • 2 cups Shredded Cheese
  • 5-6 Flour Tortillas
  • 1 tablespoon (or less) Extra Virgin Olive Oil (optional)
Red Enchilada Sauce (adapted from Recipe Girl
  • 2 cups Chicken Broth
  • 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
  • 1 (8 oz.) can Tomato Sauce
  • 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
  • 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Onion Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon of Garlic Salt

What You'll Do:
  • Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a casserole dish with cooking spray.
  • Begin by heating a large skillet over medium heat. Place a small amount of Olive Oil in the skillet until heated. Add garlic and onions to the skillet and cook until fragrant and soft. 
  • Next, add ground beef and cook until brown. Once, brown, drain fat and add taco seasoning and water - according to package directions. Allow to simmer for at least 10 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, begin making the Red Enchilada sauce by adding vegetable oil to another large skillet and heat over medium heat. 
  • Next, whisk in flour and chill powder. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to whisk until lightly brown. Gradually whisk tomato sauce, chicken broth, garlic powder, onion salt, cumin, and garlic salt. Stir until smooth and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until thickened. 
To Assemble Enchiladas:
  • Using one flour tortilla at a time, dip tortilla in the Enchilada sauce ensuring both sides are covered.
  • Place on a flat plate and fill the middle with 1-2 heaping tablespoons of beef. Sprinkle with cheese and roll into an enchilada then place seam side down on casserole dish
  • Continue with the next four or five tortillas. Once the casserole dish is full evenly pour the remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with any remaining cheese and place in the oven
  • Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. 
  • Serve immediately
  • ENJOY!

Topping suggestions: freshly chopped cilantro, avocado slices, sour cream, queso fresco, and/ or salsa. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from ya! Leave a comment and tell me your thoughts.