Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Kitchen Quick Tip Tuesday: Use Shears


Today's kitchen quick tip is seriously so quick and easy that this post will be left to a minimum.
You're welcome.

I typically try to do some food prep each week so I can quickly grab some ingredients that are already prepared, making our week-night meals more of a breeze.

One of those preps I always do is: Chopped Green Onions.

I use green onions so frequently in many of my dishes that having a small batch of freshly diced/ chopped onions on hand is super convenient.

I use green onions for sauces, salads, mixed into ground beef, and for garnish.

You'll need:
+ Green Onions
+ Kitchen Shears
+ Air Tight Container

What you'll do:
+ Grab a bushel of green onions and rinse well. Set on a paper towel to dry.
+ Once dry, using you kitchen shears begin by cutting off the top of the green stems, then discard. (Cut about 1/4 of an inch)
+ Then, cut, cut, cut. I like to cut the onions directly into the container. (I'll alternate between 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch cuts)
+ Discard the onion once you reach the bottom white part of the stem, near the roots.
+ Then  place the chopped green onions in a air-tight container. Cover and store in the fridge for a couple of days.

Just like so.


Typically, I'll use half of the bushel to chop and cut up and then I'll place the remaining green onions (along with any other fresh herbs) in a mason jar with a little water and pop them both in the fridge. Typically, they'll stay fresh for about 2 - 5 days.

This really helps making my life in the kitchen a little easier, and stretching my dollar a little further. 

It's a WIN/ WIN!

Furi Rachel Ray Gusto-Grip Basic Line Kitchen Shears (as pictured above) can be purchased here

What ways are you making life in the kitchen easier? Share your tips in the comment section and join in on the discussion.


oxox, 
Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from ya! Leave a comment and tell me your thoughts.